This blog is about ree-ality. da truth. that deal. And, since JESUS is the truth, views are a reflection of my beliefs. If you don't agree with me, just pray that the eyes of my understanding be enlightened.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Actress or attorney

Let's keep it real. Everything in life is about presentation. If you are the cutest guy in the world, but present yourself like a bum, most eyes will look past you. If you're the smartest person in the world, and can't convey information to a group of students, they'll still fail their tests, despite your intelligence. Likewise, if you got the best case in the world--all the evidence lines up, plenty of credible witnesses--and don't know how to convince a jury, you're done for. So the moral of the story is (1) attorneys need acting skills, (2) smart people need teaching skills, and (3) single people need hair, body, and clothing, looking nice, coordinated, fashionable, and presentable.

As far as I'm concerned, am I a chic that's willing to look past the outside package? Only in compelling circumstances. If I male black approaches me dressed like half the ones coming into the court--extremely baggy jeans, large, wide white t-shirt, hoopin shoes, etc.--I probably won't. Today, however, I was fooled. I was in the presence of a very clean cut alleged drug dealer, who was actually very handsome. He came to me and asked me if I was a student. I said yes, and an intern at the prosecutor's. I asked him if he was a student. He was very well-spoken and said something to the extent that he was "unfortunately" involved in the case at hand. He didn't talk ghetto, or use a bunch of ebonics. He sounded like one of the guys at law school. In fact, if he wasn't a drug dealer, and possibly awaiting a mandatory minimum of 3 years in the state pen with no parole, I might have invited him to church.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home