This blog is about ree-ality. da truth. that deal. And, since JESUS is the truth, views are a reflection of my beliefs. If you don't agree with me, just pray that the eyes of my understanding be enlightened.

Friday, June 10, 2005

One down, 8 to go

So the first week is over. It's been really cool. This is good career exploration. I already know that I am called to work with children in the law and not adults. I don't have nearly as much compassion for adult criminals as I do juveniles. Thorugh most of these people probably grew up in poverty and surrounded by criminal activity, something tells me that just like me, they had the opportunity to make a choice to live a legitimate lifestyle and stay out of trouble. Before a criminal record, a job really isn't that hard to find, even if it means starting at McDonalds. College can be fairly simple to get in to, even if it means starting at the local community college. In addition, there are a lot of jobs out there that do not require a college education. Most of the people I worked with in Lansing over custody disputes were not college educated, yet they made a decent living. I understand that there are a lot of barriers in place that possibly make it harder for our people to move ahead. However, it seems like people should be much more motivated to getting over/around these barriers than just settling for being another criminal statistic, another unemployed, uneducated black man behind bars creating another fatherless child roaming the streets. It's a vicious cycle, and someone really needs to stop it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home